Tuesday 10 October 2017

I’m engaged! | Wedding Series #1

As I’m writing this I’ve officially been engaged for one month. After nearly 9 years together, I had an inkling that engagement was on the horizon. Yet that moment when Chris was on one knee still feels like one of those “pinch me” moments.




Chris popped the question on the beach at the Seascape Resort in California. It was sunset and we were making s’mores at a private beach fire. Despite the fact we’d had fog all morning, the clouds had parted late afternoon, leaving us with pretty bad sunburn and a lovely warm evening. After making a couple of s’mores and Chris dropping burning hot marshmallow on his foot (ouch!), Chris went to set the timer on our camera for a selfie. Little did I know that he’d actually set the camera to record before hopping after and presenting me with a gorgeous ring. It really was the most magical moment in the whole of our month long sabbatical, something I’ll never ever forget! 




As I say, I really had strong feeling we’d come back engaged after our amazing three week road trip. Yet that exact moment really left me in a state of shock! I was completely overwhelmed with so many emotions, that I actually felt a little bit sick! After all, I’m a hopeless romantic and that was the moment I’d dreamt of for the last eight years. I’m so thankful that Chris recorded that special moment and that we will have it to look back on for years to come. I’m yet to watch it without bursting into tears! 




Getting engaged is the most amazing feeling. For the first time ever, all your friends and family jump to celebrate your love, which really is a whole new experience. Chris and I have been so overwhelmed with the social media love, the messages, the cards and the presents we’ve received. It’s so lovely to have something to experience together and just wonder around in our little bubble together. 




We enjoyed two solid loved up days before someone posed us with the “So, when’s the wedding” question. It was that exact moment that I realised that, despite all the wedding stalking I’ve done in my lifetime, I had no idea how to plan a wedding. Like I seriously, really didn’t have a clue where to start! Of course, being a blogger, I headed to some of my favourite blogs, to find that wedding related blog posts were few and far between! 




I’ve spent the last few weeks scanning Pinterest, attending wedding fairs, scrapbooking from magazines and booking venues (eek)! Chris and I have always said that we never wanted a long engagement, so we’ve settled on a date in September 2018. Which, to be frank, feels far enough away to be a logical wait, yet close enough to give me heart palpitations. It doesn’t help when your groom tells you that the “wedding is ages away” and you’re yet to ask your bridesmaids, so you have no one to first to lighten your load (I am of course joking about the bridesmaids).

Over the next year I really want to blog about my wedding planning experiences. Not only will wedding planning take over my life a little bit, but I’m hoping that it helps a few fellow bloggers in the future, who also want to start planning their wedding. I’ll be talking about everything from planning a church wedding (there are a lot of misconceptions), to entertainment and everything in-between. Equally, if you have any tips for this brand new bride-to-be, I’d love to hear about them in the comments! 

Here’s to an exciting year of wedding planning, let’s hope I make it out the other side! 
Share:
© Hope, Freedom, Love | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig