Monday 3 October 2016

My Autumn Edit 2016

For the last few weeks I’ve been testing, reviewing and trying out a load of products. What’s different to any other month I hear you ask? Well the sole purpose has been to create my official Autumn Edit of 2016. I’ve tried a lot of products, some good, some bad, but these products are the ones I give my seal of approval. So if you’re looking to update your makeup bag or skincare routine, you can safely take out your shopping list and get stuck in. I'm going to take you through some of the biggest Autumn catwalk trends and how you can recreate them in the comfort of your own home. 



Getting that flawless illuminating base 
Spring may have come to an end, but a glowing illuminating base is still fashionable for Autumn/Winter. Naturally there are tons of ways to get that glowing base and I have a few great products to share. First of all, lets talk brushes! Sigma Beauty have recently released their Baking & Strobing Brush Set, with everything you need to get that glow. I'm a huge fan of using a fan brush for highlighter and for setting powder. The new F42 Strobing Fan* is perfect for creating that glowing finish. Meanwhile the new F89 Bake Kabuki* is a good all-rounder. You can use it for foundation, concealer or to "bake"/press on your pressed powder. I only added the Laura Mercier Candleglow Foundation to my collection at the weekend, but I knew I had to include it in my edit. It's a lightweight foundation which offers a candlelit glow to the face with its a blend of radiant pearls. It lasts really well on the skin and it doesn't settle on my skin.

Glitter and shimmer with pretty highlighters
We all know that I'm a highlighter addict so picking just two products to add into my edit was hard work. I kinda cheated a little by picking out the Sleek Precious Metals Highlighter Palette*. This palette has recently been repacked into a pretty metallic palette and it features three beautiful cream highlighters and one stunning powder. If you want something high end, I recently picked up the NARS Dual Intensity Blusher Duo in Jubilation. It features one pinky highlighter and one golden highlighter and the pigmentation truly pack a punch! 




Using cream and powder blusher for rosey cheeks 
One trend that returns time and time again is that beautiful flush of colour on the cheeks. On the catwalks all the makeup artists were creating this look, for that "just in from the cold" finish. The latest addition to my blusher collection is this gorgeous palette from Zoeva, my first product from their makeup collection. The Pink Spectrum Palette* feature four universal shades, for a pretty blush no matter what look you're going for. I always turn to Sleek if I want a particular blush shade, as they have a huge range. The Pink Peony* blush is a hot pink cream blusher, which is perfect for this trend.




The trend that always returns - berry lips
I'm not normally a lipstick girl, but this season I'm obsessed with all the different colours and formulas on the market. Let's start with Maybelline's Midnight Merlot*, which is a deep rich purple hue lipstick, slightly matte and very pigmented. Another pretty purple shade is Sleek's Matte Me Lip Cream in Velvet Slipper*, it's a lovely matte formula which is easy to apply on-the-go. The last shade I really want to mention is the Pixi Mattelustre Lipstick in Plum Berry*, it's a slightly more pink shade berry hue and it's my personal favourite of the three. 

Try something lighter on the lips this season
It's not all about berry lips though, so if you're not a fan I have some other great shades to recommend. Again let's kick things off with Maybelline's Vivid Matte Liquid Lipstick in the shade Nude Flush*, it's got a lovely semi-matte formulation and strong pigmentation. Also from Maybelline we have 'Clay Crush*' which was a huge favourite in my recent blog post. The new 'Stroll In The Park' collection from Paul & Joe includes the lipstick shade 'Snuggle Up*'. It's a rich, warm, nude pink shade, which is lovely for work or play! The stunning new Click Sticks from By Terry* are available in loads of shades, but I've recently been playing with shades 6 (a nude pink) and 7 (a bright pink). These formulas have revolutionised the lipstick game, I love everything about them. 




The perfect smokey eye 
Unsurprisingly, smokey eyes are back for the Autumn/Winter season - there is no doubt that they are perfect for Christmas parties and fun nights out. There are a few ways to achieve this look, if you want something quick and easy, use 'Fantasy*' which is a Maybelline Color Tattoo. Apply this all over the eyelid using your fingertip and blend out the edges with a brush and you're good to go. The Sleek Eyeshadow Palette in Bad Girl* is full of rich purples, glitters and pretty navy hues. Like always the Sleek eyeshadows are super pigmented and rich, which means you can create an eyeshadow look which packs a punch. 

If you want something softer you should check out the new Autumn range from Paul & Joe. The collection is called 'A Stroll In The Park' and features these trio eyeshadow palettes. 'September Song*' has three beautiful autumnal hues and they are perfect whatever the occasion. 

The inner corner highlight
One trend which is back with a vengeance this season is the inner corner highlight and making your eyes look wider/more awake. There are two ways I like to do this, the first is by using a nude eyeliner on the waterline. Pixi have a fantastic Eyebright Eyeliner* in the shade 'Nude', which a dream to apply and it lasts really well during the day too! Another great way to achieve this look is by getting a glittery eyeshadow on a eyeshadow brush and dabbing it right in the corner. Recently I've been using Maybelline's Color Tattoo in the shade Breathless*. It has a pretty glitter finish and the Color Tattoo formulation helps it to last all days.




Classic Autumn shades for the nails
I've kept things fairly classic for nails in this Autumn Edit, with three main trends to tackle. Let's keep things berry and start with Maybelline's Preppy Woman Color Show shade called 'Dear Magenta*' - the perfect colour if you want that classic berry nail. The second trend is glitter and metallics, so I have two polishes to recommend. 'Women Tweedy*' is full of little pink and silver strands, I've worn this over tons of different shades and it looks beautiful. If you want to go full metallic, you need to check out Maybelline's Metallic Silk* lineup. They have a silver, gold and a rose gold hue, which are perfect all over the nail or for nail art effects. The last nail trend I wanted to share is 'Greige' and I have the perfect polish to recreate the trend at home! Oh, Para-chute* is from Morgan Taylor's Sweetheart Squadron lineup and it's a lovely green/grey colour. 




Moisturising and revitalising skincare routines
We all know that Vitamin C is good for fighting off a cold, but did you know that it's good for your skin? DECIEM's C25* offers a stable source of 25% Vitamin C, which treats skin tone and texture. By introducing Vitamin C into your skincare routine, it targets dullness, uneven tone, textural irregularities and fine lines. You simply use it twice a day before your moisturiser (either use it alongside your serum or mix it into it). 

A great way to look after your face during the colder months, is to introduce a moisturising mask into your routine. The Caudalie Hydrating Mask* is great at this and it's intensely soothing (particularly for those who suffer with sensitive skin). It's really easy to use too, all you have to do is put a thick layer on to your skin twice a week. Sit back and relax for 15 minutes and then remove what is left on your skin with water or a cotton pad.

If you're looking for a budget option, NIVEA's Creme Care Cleansing Range* is perfect! The range is a new innovative range of facial cleansing products, which contain a nourishing formula. It cleanses deeply but still keeps your skin protected and soft. It's a fantastic range to try if you often suffer with products irritating the skin. There is a whole host of different products, including Facial Wipes, Cream Wash and a Cleansing Lotion. The best part is that all the products retail for under £3.50! 

Protecting our skin from the elements - 'anti-pollution products'
Anti-pollution is on the tip of everyone's tongue at the moment - it's most definitely the thing of the moment! I've really been enjoying learning a lot about these new products, especially ESPA's Pro-Optimal Defence*, which has actually been on the market for over two years! The formula is designed to help the skin fight against environmental damage. It's packed with botanical extracts, Micro Pearls and protection against UVA and UVB rays. You simply apply the product on top of your moisturiser and it actually sits really well under make-up.




Keeping our bodies protected and moisturised
I'm not sure about everyone else, but my skin (especially my feet, knees and elbows) needs a little extra TLC in the colder months. So for my last section I wanted to share some of my top products for keeping my skin in tip-top condition. The first thing I wanted to talk about is the Mint Tea Body Scrub* by KORRES. It's a mixture of ground Bamboo with Jojoba beads, which effectively remove dead cells and improve microcirculation. Which means it's perfect for this time of year, it also has a refreshing minty scent, which makes it great for waking up on a dark morning. After cleansing, without a doubt I always use the NIVEA In Shower Body Moisturiser*, I love that you don't have to get out of the shower and stand naked to do that moisturiser step. However, when I am feeling a little more adventurous, I'm a huge fan of the KORRES Fig Body Butter* - it smells incredible! For those really stubborn dry patches, I've recently been testing the Lotil Original Cream*. It is a multi-purpose, paraben-free, antiseptic cream, packed with glycerin. It's great to use anywhere on the body that needs a little bit of help!

Last but not least we have the Hyaluronic Concentrate* by the genius team at Hand Chemistry. It's just like your classic moisturiser, but with a real twist! It contains 99.5% pure hyaluronic acid, which is well known for it's hydrating properties, but it means it also helps any other creams absorb into the skin. It helps to teach your skin to retain its own moisture and also helps prevent the skin from ageing. You simply apply it to the skin at least twice a day and it leaves your skin feeling hydrated and smooth!




And breathe... if you've got this far you deserve a medal! In fact if you've got this far, leave me a comment below about... leaves! I really hope you enjoyed this low down on my favourite products for the Autumn season. These Seasonal Edits are some of my favourite posts to write, photograph and publish. They take a lot of work, but I really think they are worth it and you guys always seem to enjoy them! Let me know your favourite products and also what I've missed off the list and need to try! 
Share:
© Hope, Freedom, Love | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig