Monday 15 August 2016

CARE | A NIVEA & Cancer Research Collaboration

Keeping safe in the sun is something I'm hugely passionate about. It's something I try and talk about frequently here on my blog, but also in real life. I try to have open and frank conversations about sun care with all my family and friends (sometimes even when they don't want to listen). I know that a lot of other bloggers are passionate about this too and it's amazing to see it becoming a topic of conversation all across the globe. 

Whilst it's fantastic for us to talk about it, sometimes it takes big companies and charities to spread the word. These huge campaigns get noticed and it means that the word then spreads to people outside of the blogging community. So when I heard about the CARE campaign from NIVEA and Cancer Research UK, I knew I wanted to talk about it on my blog. NIVEA and Cancer Research UK have had a long relationship and they've partnered up again in 2016. Their collaboration is focussed around a new acronym - CARE - designed to give you easy to remember advice.

Cover Up (wear a t-shirt, hat and sunglasses)
Aim For The Shade (between the hours of 11am and 3pm in the UK)
Rub On Sunscreen (use plenty of at least SPF 15 and a 4 star rating)
Enjoy (have fun in the sun safely)



As always, the CARE campaign is driven by strong research and statistics. Did you know..

  • Only 61% of us seek shade when we're abroad and that this drops to 51% in the UK? It's incredibly important to take frequent breaks in the sun between 11am and 3pm. It's a good opportunity to head inside for a drink or to sit under some shady trees for a picnic.
  • 20% of us believe it's impossible to be burnt if we're wearing sunscreen
  • 17% of Brits admit that they are unsure if sunscreen expires and 3% of people believe that it doesn't. As with most products, sunscreen has a recommended shelf life from the moment you open it. All you have to do is check the back of your product and find the jar with a number followed by the 'M' symbol. This is the amount of months a product should stay open after using it.
  • In the UK, only 32% of Brits reapply suncream of at least SPF15 when in the UK sun. You should be applying enough suncream liberally and frequently, two teaspoons of sunscreen should be used for your head, arms and neck.
  • 70% of parents make sure their children are covered up in the sun, but only 35% look after themselves. Long-sleeves, hats and sunglasses are important - no matter how old you are! It's importantly to remember that different fabrics offer different levels of protection from the sun.

If you missed the commotion on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat, I was on holiday last week and I took the chance to test out lots of different NIVEA products. They actually already form the entirety of my boyfriends suncream routine, but I'd never given them a go myself. I love the fact that there are LOADS of different formulations, in different shapes, sizes and factors. I think my favourite products include the NIVEA Protect & Refresh Spray SPF*, as it gives you instant protection and it's so quick and easy to apply. You just spritz the fine mist all over your body and rub it into the skin. My other favourite was the brand new NIVEA Roll On SPF* as it's so easy to chuck in your handbag for on-the-go protection!

Next time you're out and about why not practice the CARE advise from NIVEA SUN and Cancer Research and protect yourself from any nasty surprises. 

Cover Up (wear a t-shirt, hat and sunglasses)
Aim For The Shade (between the hours of 11am and 3pm in the UK)
Rub On Sunscreen (use plenty of at least SPF 15 and a 4 star rating)
Enjoy (have fun in the sun safely)
Share:
© Hope, Freedom, Love | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig