Tuesday 19 May 2015

How I Survive Flying Long Haul

advice, advice for flying, lifestyle, lifestyle post, tips for flying, tips for people scared of flying,
Before starting work (properly after University) I’d only been on a plane twice. Both journeys were short haul trips – one to France and one to Spain. When my boss told me I’d have to travel I was pretty excited. I was about to see the world from a whole other angle. The only real problem was the plane – I’d never been on a plane for longer than two hours and I was about to embark on 12-hours in the air.

I’m not a nervous flyer, the thought of take off, landing or turbulence really doesn’t bother me. What does bother me is being cooped up for 12 hours with no way of really killing time. Two trips later I had the whole airport experience sorted, I was a pro at checking in and making my way through security. However, I was still really struggling with making my flight as comfortable as possible. Eight long haul trips later I feel like I’ve really got a good set-up for travel. I can’t claim that the time flies (I still get a bit anxious after seven hours) but it certainly helps. 

The first tip I have is to not be afraid to make the most out of your carry on toiletries. The first two trips I got on the plane with nothing more than a bottle of water. Not only do good toiletries make your flight more comfortable, they also are great at killing time. Nowadays, I pack face wipes, face masks, water sprays, lip balms, some of the Deep Sleep range from This Works – this is only the start of my list. On top of this I pack a range of tablets, hairbands and creams such as Germolene and Hydrocortisone.  You’ll be amazed how more at ease you feel when you know that you have any situation covered!

Next up are tips for killing time – on a long haul flight I don’t rush anything – lets be honest you don’t need to

  • The first two hours are consumed by post-takeoff drinks and meals. So I just sit back, relax and watch a film from the on-board selection. I rarely get a chance to watch films, so it's a real one off and a chance to relax.
  • After dinner I tend to put on some music on the planes system and read a book. I take a selection on my iPad, but I also normally take a physical book or magazine too. I let the music and the book relax me and after this I normally try and get some sleep. 
  • With any luck (things don’t always go to plan) I wake up with about seven hours into the flight. This is normally when I start to feel a bit anxious and chrostophobic.
  • To beat the chrostophobia, I get out of my seat and head to the bathrooms and have a bit of a pamper. I’ll remove my makeup, cleanse and whack on a face mask (I use the Origins Drink Up Intensive Mask). I also spray my pillow in the cabin with the This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray – it’s amazing for calming you down. 
  • I whip out my iPad at this point as I pre-download a load of YouTube videos. For me this is a really calming process, I think it’s because I normally watch YouTube when I’m tucked up in bed at home. So it makes me feel all cosy and safe – it’s the simple things eh?! I download videos from Vivianna Does Makeup, Lily Pebbles, The Shaytards and The Mom's View and really try to relax. I normally can kill a good couple of hours watching YouTube before I start to feel a bit sleepy.
  • I catch another couple of hours sleep at this point and try to wake up when there’s only two hours left of the flight. 
  • At this point I have another freshen up in the bathroom! I cleanse my skin again and apply a serum. At the moment I'm loving the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Serum, as it's amazing for dehydrated skin. I return to my seat and watch another film from the plane. 
  • About an hour before landing the air hostesses will start serving food again and it’s all about preparing to get off the plane for me.

For me this system makes the whole journey feel a little more manageable – flying is still not something I really enjoy. However, it’s something that I’ve managed to feel a little easier! I’d love to hear any tips you guys have for flying long haul, leave them in the comments below!

Share:
© Hope, Freedom, Love | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig